It’s no secret around here that I love to travel and see new places and truly wish I could do it more. The world is vast and there is so much to see and do. I also like to write about it, quite clearly, so without further ado here are my top ten favourite things about Travel.
Ten favourite things about Travel:
1. The experiencing of new places and cultures – This is a given. One of the best things about travelling is that you get to see and visit new places. There’s an added bonus if the place you visit has a culture that largely differs from yours. I would elaborate but you can read here for more on my experience of a radically different culture in India.
2. Meeting new people – Another favourite about travelling! I’ve met some kick ass peeps in other countries. There are some people I’ll be forever grateful for meeting and I did not meet them at home. This guy is one of them… I met him in Barbados (he’s actually Jamaican). This boy will forever be one of my bros/besties and had I not travelled, I would have never met him. This is a Terrible, anxiety-inducing picture of me from a few years back … but I took one for the team just to show off one of the best humans ever:
3. Learning new languages – I took some Spanish and French in school but I’m fluent in neither. While I much prefer to travel in ease and to countries where English is the native tongue, I cannot lie, I get a kick out of hearing new languages. (Sidenote: either I’m getting a lot of kicks in this post or I need a new adjective)
4. Exploring – Best thing ever ..Whether its a submarine tour in Barbados (yes I did that) or exploring new monuments in India, or even strolling through Manhattan or London… exploring is definitely one of my favourite things. Please excuse the following pic it was negative 2 degrees when we decided to explore London … I’m in the middle … freezing! I’ve said it once and Ill say it again, I’m not sure I’ll ever be cut out for four seasons! I live in a tropical climate with only two seasons – wet/rainy season and dry/hot season. That. is. it.
5. Vacation/relaxation – This post is really making me feel for a trip and some relaxation. No work, no school, no students, no worries … just rest.
6. Shopping – YAAAS! No explanation necessary! #allshadeseverything
7. Seeing family/friends you haven’t seen in a long time! – This one is just the best! The joy of either going to see someone or having someone come to see you, sometimes it cant be beat. My sister, her hubby and my niece and nephew all live in Australia. She was recently here for a few weeks but the next time I see her it will be in October 🙁 … bummed that its so far away but I cannot wait to visit Australia for the first time.
8. Fun with friends/family – Connected to the one above … cept this one is more about the fun and having a blast … just being with the ones you love being around can make a vacation/travel so much better! Add in a drink or two and its golden.
9. Food!!! – I mean … this one needs no explanation either. Its fun to find something unique to the place that you visited, whether it be a baguette in France or tea in England or curry in India, food is one of the best parts about travel! Hey, I ate curried pizza in India and lived to tell the tale…
10. Memories/Pictures -Where would we be in this world without memories. We need them and the point of this whole journey through life is making them.
And that’s it for my Ten favourite things about travel, I hope you enjoyed!