I planned on posting a completely different recipe today but then I made this yesterday and it was holy yum-balls so I just had to post it today.
One of the main things I wanted to do this year was cook more and eat out less. I think I’m doing a good job of it. Sometimes (like yesterday) I create a recipe in my head and then I make it. Disclaimer: by create, I do not mean make something original – because I’m pretty sure this has been done somewhere before. I simply mean I didn’t follow a recipe and I just made it with the things I had and guess-timated measurements. Anyway I was feeling for quinoa and just thought of all the things I had in the fridge that could go with quinoa and this concoction was born. It was quick, healthy, easy and turned out fantastic … better than I could have expected.
** Adjust ingredients to suit you, this recipe could probably feed about 4/5 persons but as stated above I kinda just winged it. This is what I used and did.
What you’ll need:
1 cup Quinoa
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1/2 tin corn
Minced meat (I used beef)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Hot pepper sauce
What you do:
1. Cook Quinoa for 10 – 15 minutes or until water absorbed
2. Prepare vegetables – chop red and yellow peppers and onions and rinse corn kernels
3. In a large pot add tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
4. Add minced meat and simmer until meat is fully cooked through (aka brown)
5. Add salt, black pepper and any other seasonings (I added hot pepper sauce)
6. Lower heat
7. Add veggies and corn and let cook for 5 minutes or so until veggies are tender
8. Add quinoa and combine thoroughly
9. I can’t remember how long I left it at this point so wing it … just don’t let it burn
Serve with a green salad and Enjoy!!
This recipe is yummy, healthy and pretty tasty too. It called for few ingredients and was done within half hour. I’m glad I whipped this up and will probably whip it up again in the near future! Just call me a food blogger. I kid.
Have you ever made up a recipe in your head?