December 1st! I truly believe this year flew by. I swear it was just January. Anyway, its really starting to feel like Christmas now. I still haven’t played any Christmas music and my apartment is not decorated (I travel in 2 weeks and won’t be back until January so I’m not sure it will be), but I feel Christmas in the air.
You know what else I’m feeling? The weekend. I was having a chat with a friend this week and she mentioned that she had no clue what to do with this weekend and said that she was bored most weekends. #WUT
This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this comment (esp in my field of work where everyone thinks work should be 24/7) but I for one fully believe in weekends. Sure, I work some weekends, but lately my weekends have been for me to be the me I was before the career and adulting. There are so many ways to make the most of the weekend. I rattled off a bunch of options for her and the thought occurred to me – I should share this.
* Sleep in – … if you can. I always try to sleep in, but sometimes my internal clock wakes me up. On those days, I stay in bed and read or play on my phone for a bit. I’m not saying be lazy, I’m saying, its the weekend so let your body rest.
* Go outside – Take run, go on a hike, go to the beach, just get out the house.
* Hit up a bar / Go on a date – Single? Meet up with friends. Married or dating? Go on a date, and while you’re at it …
* Go to a place you’ve never been – Try a new bar or restaurant. See a new part of your city, town or island. I live on a tiny island and there are still tons of places I have never been! A couple months ago I went to a beach I had no clue even existed.
* Spend time with family – One of my personal favourites. Most weekends, I find some time to see or visit my parents. #lovethem
* Take a class – A couple of months ago for my friends bridal shower we all took a sip and paint class – it was so fun. Try a new class somewhere. Danny and I may start up a Saturday Latin dance class soon. Actually, he doesn’t know yet, but he will if he reads this.
* Go shopping (or browsing) – Saturday is the day I do any shopping for things I need for myself or around the house. As much as this is cliche, it is quite relaxing if you don’t look at it as an ‘errand’. I personally enjoy that I get a day to actually go browsing for stuff – especially things for the house!
* Read a book – necessary. Do this on weekdays too I say! I’m currently reading The Hate U Give and would recommend everyone reads it!
* Watch a movie (or five) – whether at the house or at the cinema, take in a fave. This weekend I plan to re-watch Love Actually since Danny has never seen it (!!!).
* Start a new hobby – So I have a new hobby. Ive begun to collect (and try not to kill) plants. My mum has been a plant fanatic for as long as I’ve known her and recently I’ve picked up the hobby too. I currently have 8 or so plants (3 are succulents). I have blogged about not having a green thumb before, but I’m learning. Ill post about my plants soon but check out these wall planters that I’m thinking of getting for some indoor plants. So freaking cute!
* Clean the house / get the chores done – This may not be the most relaxing thing to do on the weekend but it sure will make the most of it and bonus – it will make the weekdays easier too. I do all my laundry on the weekend and any major cleaning.
* Cook a new dish – I mean, let’s be honest, this won’t be every weekend. But I tend to try new recipes (or make up new ones) like this recipe, during my Sunday meal prep (when I do prep).
* Relax / have some ‘you’ time / Do nothing – Possibly the most favourite part of the weekend. Relaxing. Frankly some weekends I plan to do nothing and that just fine too (which was actually the first thing I told my friend).
Have the best weekend!!